Sunday, May 17, 2015

Tie Dyed Eggs -- It really works!

Back three years ago, I came across the coolest project on Pinterest: Tie Dyed Eggs!  No, not tie-dyed eggs... but eggs dyed with real silk ties! You can find the original post here.   How neat is that?  (yes... I just used the word "neat" - thereby signifying that I grew up in the 1980s)  According to the posts on Pinterest, all you need are a few silk ties, a white t-shirt, some ribbon/twine/yarn, and a pot of boiling water.  Count me in!



First, I scoured my husband's side of the closet.  I brought out a few ties and asked if I could cut them up. 

His response: "Are you crazy?" 

My response: "Yes, but you knew that when you married me."

Since he wasn't budging on his silk ties, I made a trip to my local Goodwill to buy some.  They are actually fairly cheap there -- $1.99 each.  I grabbed the ugliest ones I could find, and a Looney Tunes one to add to my husband's collection.  When you are looking for ties to use for this project, buy some with a lot of colors, and make sure they are 100% silk.

I came home and started cutting.  Now the key to this project is to cut enough of the tie to wrap around your egg, and then do the same with a white t-shirt.  You have to tie the two pieces as tightly as possible with the string so that the silk dye will be transferred to your eggs in the boiling water.  Boil them for 20 minutes in water with a little vinegar, and then transfer them to bowl of cool water. 

What was my result?


It actually worked!!!  Put this in the Pinterest success pile.  

No comments:

Post a Comment