Friday, June 3, 2016

How to get rid of fruit flies

Yes... I'm posting about a really gross topic: fruit flies.

Last week we were having new flooring installed on the first floor of our home -- but that meant that all of our furniture was pushed into our kitchen, breakfast nook, and patio.  This also meant that we really couldn't use our kitchen for a few days.

Before this project happened, we had purchased a bunch of fruit.  After the flooring was finished and things started to be put back where they belong, we were left with a bunch of fruit flies in our kitchen.  Yuck!

My daughter really wanted rid of them quickly (she's got this thing about flying insects -- and to be honest, I don't blame her), and so I did what I usually do and that's turn to Pinterest to see if I could come up with a way to trap them/kill them.

There were some cool ideas.

A few people said to use vinegar and dish soap.  I thought that sounded like a great idea -- but I didn't have any vinegar (darn!).

Instead, my daughter and I did the following -- and it worked!





Take a mason jar.  We used one that a friend of mine gave me a few years ago that she had decorated for a project.
Put a piece of fruit in the bottom.  The nastier the fruit -- the better (or so I believe).  We had some ruined bananas -- perfect!
Take a piece of paper and make a cone out of it. Place it in the jar.
Then tape around the jar opening and the paper (making it seal together).
Voila!

Immediately my daughter noticed flies swarming around our jar.

We left it overnight and in the morning had a nice little jar of fruit flies.  We then took them outside, where they belong.

I'm putting this Pinterest project in the "it works!" file.

No comments:

Post a Comment